Thursday, September 1, 2011

Day 134

Day 134-Sunset Hanger

Running errands tonight, I admired how impressive the Tustin Blimp Hangars looked at sunset.  I pulled over and took this photo as close as I could get to the hangar.  Since the base closed, the hangers are not getting as much upkeep as they used to and as the paint fades on the enormous doors, you can see that they are build out of wood.  I did a little research and learned that these hangars are the largest freestanding wooden structures in the world.  There has been a lot of talk about tearing down one or both of the two buildings, but I really hope they preserve one for a museum or park.  When I was little, we attended a pancake breakfast inside one of the hangars.   I'll never forget the awe inspiring feeling looking around the huge structure.

Technical Info- ISO 200, 18mm, f/4, 1/200