Friday, June 10, 2011

Day 51

Day 51- Succulent Shell

I made this little succulent shell as a gift!  Click the link below for more pics and how to make one!

Technical Info- ISO 400, 50mm, f/3.5, 1/500




How to Make a Shell Full of Succulents

You will need:
-A large shell (I bought mine at a home decorating store they are also often at craft stores or souvenir shops by the beach )
-Cactus soil
-Small Succulents (They can be bought or snipped off of a mature succulent plant)
-Small smooth river stones (can be bought at home supply or craft store)
-Tacky glue

How To:
Fill the large shell with soil.  Fill the shell with as much soil as possible.  Pack soil in and repeat.  Using a spoon, dig little pockets into the soil and insert succulents.  Pack in as many succulent clippings as you can.  Towards the opening of my shell, I feared the soil would seep out when I watered it, so I took the stones and wedged them tightly into the opening of the shell.  I then took the tacky glue and glue them in place to create a little barrier to hold the soil in.  Its not airtight or very sturdy, but it should hold the soil in place.  Place some remaining stones on top for decoration!